Last Updated on October 6, 2015 – 10:29 PM CDT
Someone claiming to work for Xcel Energy convinced a resident to send $617 in order to keep their electricity from being disconnected, according to a Dumas Police Department report. It happened Sept. 28, and the resident later found out the call didn’t come from Xcel. Police say this is a common scam, and if you’re contacted by someone who says they’re with Xcel or the IRS, you should hang up. Call the number that’s printed on your utility bill or listed in a phone directory and verify that the call you received is from that company.
Xcel reported that this year, it has averaged 97 reports of scams targeting its customers each month.
“Unfortunately, the number of reports is expected to rise as public information is increasingly shared quickly and easily via the Internet,” Xcel reported on its website. “Criminals can use this information to attempt to scam people by impersonating the customer service representatives of trusted companies like Xcel Energy, to gather personal and/or financial information. Always remember, Xcel Energy will NEVER request that you use a prepaid credit card for payment processing.”
For more information on the scams go to this link.
Dumas police also reported the following:
- 2000 block S. Dumas – Burglary of a Vehicle – Dispatched in reference to an attempted burglary of a vehicle. Complainant stated he parked a gray 2015 Hyundai on the south side of the building (Hampton Inn) on Sept. 27 at about 10:30 a.m., and when he came out this morning at about 6:50 a.m., noticed damage to both driver side and passenger side doors as if someone tried to open the vehicle. Nothing was missing.
- 2003 S. Dumas – City Ordinance Violation – Responded to a report of a female subject panhandling for money. Contact was made with the subject, and she was advised of the violation. The female agreed to leave the area.
- 300 E. 2nd – Hit and Run – Complainant advised their gray Dodge Charger parked in the parking lot was struck by an unknown vehicle between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. causing minor damage. The suspect failed to comply with duties upon striking an unattended vehicle. An accident report was completed as well as an incident report. Under investigation.
- 100 block S. Dumas – Theft – Complainant stated he laid his wallet on the counter of the business and walked away for a second during which time a Hispanic female picked up the wallet and left the store. Under investigation.
- 500 block Forrest – Identity Theft – Complainant stated he received a notice by mail from the Texas Workforce Commission asking for verification he had applied for unemployment. Investigation revealed someone had used the victim’s personal information to file a fraudulent claim for unemployment online. Under investigation.
- 1600 S. Dumas Ave. – Reckless Driver – Dispatched in reference a reckless driver in an older gray Buick weaving in and out of traffic northbound. Unable to locate.
- 1600 block E. 7th – Parking Violation – Dispatched in reference to two vehicles with expired tags. The vehicles were stickered with a 72-hour notice.
- 500 N. Maddox – Accident – A gray 2012 Chevrolet Impala was southbound in the inside lane of the 500 block of North Maddox approaching 5th Street and North Maddox. A black 2013 Kia Soul was northbound in the inside lane of the 400 block of North Maddox also approaching the intersection of 5th Street and North Maddox. An unknown white pickup was at the stop sign in the 800 block of Northeast 5th The Impala was attempting to turn east into the 800 block of Northeast 5th when the unknown white pickup failed to yield right of way and entered the intersection to travel south. When the pickup cleared the intersection, the Impala made the turn, failed to yield right of way, and was struck by the Kia traveling north. The female child in the Kia was injured with head injury, and the female child was thought to possibly have a head injury but was found to be OK. The child in the Kia was transported to Memorial Hospital, treated and released.
- 1600 block S. Dumas Ave. – Accident – A red Ford pickup was parked in a parking lot at the truck stop. An orange van tried backing and parking correctly, and the black plastic mirror left plastic on the right rear bed of the pickup. There was no damage to the pickup. The plastic came off without leaving damage.
- 500 block Spruce – Traffic/Warrant Service – Traffic stop at the above location on a 1999 Chevrolet pickup. The driver, Blake Myrick Michael James, was found to have two active warrants out of Moore County. He was arrested and booked into the Moore County Jail.
- 100 block Pine – Theft – Dispatched in reference to theft. Contact made with the complainant who stated an unknown subject stole a mail package off her porch sometime between 9:50 a.m. and 10:05 a.m. Empty package contents were located by a neighbor in her backyard. Contents taken were two large jar candles from “Fragrant Jewels”, valued at about $31.90.
- 400 block N. 4th – Attempted Abduction – A juvenile reported as they were leaving Green Acres Elementary School playground on the north side, an older Hispanic female in a red four-door car, possibly a Honda Civic or a Pontiac Grand Am or similar vehicle, pulled up next to him and stated she was his mother and wanted him to come with her. The juvenile ran to a nearby relative’s home and called police who had officers search the area and made contact with several citizens in the area who saw nothing. No vehicle matching the description was located.
- 1000 block S. Birge – Agency Assist – Officers responded to assist Moore County Sheriff’s deputies. After deputies located marijuana on a bus at the station the suspect fled on foot. He was located in the west alley of the 1000 block of S. Birge and taken into custody without incident.
- 1700 block S. Dumas Ave. – Disorderly Conduct – Dispatched in reference to a physical altercation. Investigation disclosed that several intoxicated people were involved in pushing, shoving and taking swings at one another. It was determined that it was mutual between involved parties. Per owner’s request, the subjects were criminally trespassed from the bar.
- 100 block N. Dumas Ave. – Accident – A black 2005 Saturn Ion was leaving the traffic signal and attempting to travel south from the 100 block of Dumas Ave. to the intersection of 1st Street and Dumas Ave. A black Dodge Ram pickup was directly behind the Saturn. The Saturn stopped before reaching the intersection due to a fire truck coming from the east. The pickup followed too closely and struck the rear of the Saturn. No injury.
- 1400 block S. Twichell – Operate ATV on Public Roadway – Dispatched in reference to juveniles riding four wheelers. Unable to locate.
- 600 block N. Maddox – Accident – Dispatched in reference to an accident. Investigation disclosed that a 2005 Ford SUV was traveling east from the 700 block to the 800 block of N.E. 6th Street and failed to yield right of way to a 1995 Ford pickup which was southbound in the 600 block of N Maddox. The pickup struck the SUV causing it to move across the roadway and to flip onto its passenger side. Minor injuries.
- 1700 block S. Dumas Ave. – Dispatched in reference to vandalism to a vehicle. Upon arrival contact was made with the complainant who advised that sometime between 10:45 p.m. on Oct.1 and time of call, unknown person(s) had broken the windshield of his black 2007 Dodge pickup. It was also disclosed that there was damage to the left rear quarter panel. Investigation on going.
- 300 block E. 16th – Disturbance – Dispatched in reference to a fight. Investigation revealed two coaches of softball teams had gotten into a verbal argument over a player being removed from the game.
- 1100 block E. 1st – City Ordinance Violation – Dispatched in reference to a subject panhandling. Contact was made with the male subject, and he was advised to stop.
- 200 block Spruce – Prowler – Dispatched in reference to a possible prowler in the area. Officers searched the area but were unable to locate.
- 500 Oak – Accident – Dispatched in reference to an accident. Investigation disclosed that a 2011 Kia Optima was traveling south in the 500 block of Oak behind a 2003 Chevrolet pickup. The truck pulled over, appearing that it was going to park on the east side of the roadway, and the Kia attempted to go around it. The truck then attempted to turn into a driveway and struck the Kia. No injuries.
- 500 block Pine – Prowler – Dispatched in reference to a prowler. Officers searched the area but were unable to locate.
- 1400 Guylane Plaza – Theft/Criminal Trespass – Big R Employees observed a male subject and his juvenile son enter the store wearing only socks on their feet. The subjects then went and put on new boots and attempted to leave the store. When confronted by employees the male subject agreed to pay for the boots. Police were contacted and issued criminal trespass warnings to the subjects at the manager’s request.
- 1300 S. Bliss – Accident – Dispatched in reference to a minor accident. A subject backed his 1999 extended cab F-150 out of a driveway in the 1300 block of S/ Bliss and struck the passenger side of a 2012 Chaparral travel trailer that was traveling north on S. Bliss. No injuries. Minor damage to both vehicles.