Allowing her two-year-old daughter to play with her phone didn’t turn out well for Jennifer Mendoza. According to the Dumas Police Department, officers were sent to the 200 block of N. Meredith Ave. on Thursday because there had been several 911 hang-up calls.
Mendoza told the police officers her daughter had been playing with the phone, but the officers discovered Mendoza had four outstanding municipal warrants. She was booked into the Moore County Jail.
The Dumas Police Department also reported the following incidents:
- 100 block Binkley Ave. Theft. Officers dispatched in reference to theft. Contact was made with the complainant who disclosed that unknown person(s) took two black and green flowerpots from the front entrance.
- 800 block N.E. 4th. Warrant Service. Officers dispatched in reference to a warrant service. Contact was made with Cruz Flores. Cruz was found to have two active Moore County warrants for violation of probation/DWI and violation of probation/possession of marijuana. Cruz was arrested and booked into the Moore County Jail.
- 200 block N. Birge Ave. Assault. Complainant went to the police department and reported that on the previous evening her spouse had assaulted her then left the residence and had not returned. Under investigation.
- 100 block S. Dumas Ave. Theft. Complainant advised police that a family member had taken items without permission and pawned them. Charges filed, property recovered.
- 700 block Spruce Ave. Criminal Mischief. Officers dispatched in reference to criminal mischief. Made contact with complainant who stated that he noticed the back window to his house to had been broken.
- 1603 block S. Dumas. Forged Currency. Officers dispatched in reference to forged currency. Contact was made with the complainant who advised that at about 5:45 p.m. a black male paid for gasoline and other store items with two $20 bills. While counting the money in the register, she observed them to be counterfeit bills. Bills were taken and booked in at the Dumas Police Department. Under investigation.
- 700 block N. 2nd. Assault. Officers dispatched in reference to a physical fight in progress. Contact made with the complainant who advised a male subject punched him in the back of the head and the left side of his face. Parties were separated upon arrival. Complainant did not wish to press charges and refused to provide a statement as he was moving out of state the next day.
- 700 block W. 2 Criminal Mischief. Officers dispatched in reference to criminal mischief. Contact made with the complainant who stated her ex-husband was intoxicated and had slashed the tires on a flatbed trailer on which she was loading her belongings. Officers were unable to locate suspect. Charges Pending.
- 100 block S. Dumas Ave. Recovered Stolen Property. Recovered a stolen firearm from EZ Pawn for the Paris Police Department in Paris, Texas.
- 700 block S. Dumas Ave. Accident. A 2007 Chrysler Aspen was traveling west in the intersection of 7th Street and Dumas Avenue. A 2010 Ford Fusion was traveling east in the same intersection. The Chrysler attempted to turn south and failed to yield right of way to the Ford. They collided in the intersection. No injury.
- 100 block Oak Ave. Warrant Service. Officers observed Felix Chacon in a red Ford pick-up truck. Due to prior knowledge of Felix having an active warrant, a traffic stop was initiated, and Chacon was taken into custody and booked into Moore County Jail.
- 300 block W. 8th Warrant Service. Warrant Service on Kenneth Brooks. Brooks was taken into custody and booked into the Moore County Jail.
- 2000 block S. Dumas Ave. Theft. Officers dispatched in reference to theft. Investigation disclosed that Victoria Naragon passed all points of sale with $16.47 worth of merchandise. Naragon was issued citation No. 083255 for theft less than $50.
- 400 block Zauk Ave. Suspicious persons/Curfew Violations – Officer checked out with three juvenile subjects on the west side of Dumas Junior High at 2:27 am. Two of the juveniles were released to parents, and the other was transported home. All subjects issued citations for curfew violations. One of the juveniles is on probation and juvenile probation will be notified.
- 1800 block E. 1st City Ordinance Violation. Officers dispatched in reference to male juveniles with a BB gun. The area was canvassed, but officers were unable to locate any juveniles in the area.
- 1600 block E. 7th Warrant Service. Officers dispatched in reference to spouse not allowing other spouse to leave house with newborn baby. Everything was OK, and civil standby was conducted. Also, Carlos Aleman was found to have Moore County warrants for no seatbelt and failure to appear. Aleman arrested and booked into Moore County Jail for warrants.
- 300 block N. Meredith. Warrant Service. Warrant Service on Jonna Denise Preston for possession of a controlled substance penalty grade 1 less than 1 gram.
- 700 block S. Dumas Ave. Minor Accident. 2013 Toyota Avalon was stationary in the 700 block of S. Dumas Ave. in the outside lane waiting for the traffic light. A 2006 Ford pickup truck was approaching the light directly behind the Toyota. The Ford failed to control speed, striking the Toyota. No injuries.
- 700 block Cedar Ave. Assault. Officer dispatched in reference to a domestic disturbance. Officer arrived on scene and met with the complainant. Investigation found a male subject had assaulted the female subject causing injury to her face. The male also advised that he had possession of a gun and wanted to commit suicide. He was transported to the Moore County Hospital and cleared. Manuel Soltero was then transported and booked into the Moore County Jail for Assault Causing Bodily Injury (Family Violence). DV packets Issued and EPO completed. CPS contacted.
- 200 block W. 11th Warrant Service. Officers dispatched in reference to a subject with a warrant. Arrived and made contact with Misty Garner who was found to have a warrant from Hansford County. The warrant was confirmed, and Garner was booked into the Moore County Jail without incident.
- 700 block S. Dumas Ave. Accident. A 1994 Chevrolet pickup truck was traveling north in the outside lane of the 700 block of S. Dumas Ave. The driver was fatigued and failed to maintain a single marked lane. The vehicle veered east and crossed the intersection of 7th Street and S Dumas Ave. The pickup struck a light pole in the northeast corner of the intersection. The driver hit his head on the steering wheel and went to the hospital by private vehicle.
- 124 block S. Bliss Ave. Suspicious Person. Officers dispatched in reference to a suspicious male holding a sign. Made contact with a male subject who advised that he was waiting for the library to open to make copies. Field Interview completed. Nothing further.
- 200 block N. Meredith Ave. 911 Hang-up/Warrant Service. Officers dispatched in reference to several 911 hang-up calls. Officers spoke with Jennifer Mendoza who advised her two-year-old daughter was playing with the phone. Also, Mendoza had city warrants, and she was arrested and booked into the Moore County Jail for four municipal warrants.
- 700 block E. 16th Hit and Run. Officer was dispatched to the Moore County Senior Center parking lot in reference to a hit and run. Officer arrived and located the complainant standing next to her 2012 Toyota RAV 4. The complainant stated she was at Doggie Days, and when she returned to her vehicle she noticed damage to her left rear bumper. Officer checked area for other vehicle and didn’t locate one. Accident report was completed.
- 800 block S. Dumas Ave. Accident. A 2012 Dodge Journey was traveling south in the outside lane in the 800 block of S Dumas Ave. A 2005 Lexus ES330 was stationary in the 100 block of W. 9th, facing east at a stop sign. A 2015 Toyota Matrix failed to yield at the stop sign in the 100 block of E. 9th St., traveled west, and struck the Dodge. The Dodge then traveled southeast and struck the Lexus. The drivers of the Dodge and Toyota were transported to the Moore County Hospital for minor injuries and released.
- 200 block N. Dumas Ave. Criminal Mischief. Officers dispatched in reference to a burglary. Investigation disclosed that unknown person(s) caused damage to the front window of the building, causing it to break. The complainant advised that nothing was taken out of the store. It is believed that a BB gun caused the damage.
- 1500 block S. Meredith Ave. Burglary of a Habitation. Officers dispatched in reference to a stolen wallet. Made contact with complainant who stated her black Victoria’s Secret wallet and her light Michael Kors wallet were stolen out of her car which was parked outside of her house. The black wallet contained Texas driver’s license, Bealls credit card, checking account debit card, savings account debit card, Sam’s credit card and $20 cash. Her car had been left unlocked.
- 208 block N. Dumas Ave. Theft. Officers dispatched in reference to a beer run by a female in a pink shirt who left in a blue Chrysler passenger car with a package of Bud Light. The vehicle was located in the 700 block of Oak Ave., and several minors were found to be consuming alcohol. Several pieces of paraphernalia were located and seized. A 12-pack of Bud light was found and returned to the business. Several subjects were issued citations for minor consuming alcohol and possession of drug paraphernalia. Charges pending on the female suspect.
- 600 block E. 16th Warrant Service. Warrant service on Brayden Adcock. Warrants were confirmed and Adcock was arrested and booked in at the Moore County Jail for capias warrants.
- 900 block S. Porter Ave. Assault. Dispatched to above reference a possible fight that had just occurred. While en route, dispatch advised parties had separated. Contact made with Ricky Flores who advised he had been in a pushing/shoving match with Kimberly Robins. Minor injuries observed. Both parties were uncooperative. Both parties were taken into custody and booked for Assault by Contact Class C.
- 300 block Julie Dr. Burglary of a Habitation. Made contact with the complainant who advised her house was burglarized between June 11 and June 13. Complainant stated cameras and jewelry were missing.
- 1300 block S. Dumas Ave. Accident. Officers dispatched to the in reference to a minor accident. Investigation disclosed that a black Ford Focus failed to yield right of way to a white Ford SUV and was struck. No injuries.
- 1100 block S. Birge Ave. Missing Child. Officers dispatched in reference to a missing four-year-old female. The child was found to be with a relative at church. Everything OK.
- 1400 block S. Dumas Ave. Reckless Driver. Officers dispatched in reference to a reckless driver in a black pickup truck. Officer searched the area but was unable to locate. No tag number was given.
- 100 block Floyd Ave. Reckless Driver. Officers dispatched in reference to a reckless driver in a white El Camino. Officer searched the area but was unable to locate. No tag number available.
- 100 block N. Bliss Ave. Disturbance. Officers dispatched in reference to two male subjects possibly intoxicated on foot in the alley. Officers arrived and located subjects matching description. Subjects climbed fence behind 119 N. Bliss Ave. One subject later identified as Efrain Gonzalez was located in backyard at 117 N. Bliss Ave. and evaded on foot. Gonzalez was apprehended by officers and assisted to the ground at 100 N. Bliss Ave. Gonzalez was taken to the Moore County Jail and booked for public intoxication, evading on foot and possession of drug paraphernalia.
- 800 block N. Dumas Ave. Reckless Driver. Officers dispatched in reference to a reckless driver in a silver passenger vehicle. Officer searched the area but was unable to locate. No tag number available.