This story has been updated.
A Dumas police officer and a Moore County sheriff’s deputy each shot a dog Sunday that was loose and had charged them, according to a police report.
At about 12:28 p.m. a police officer responded to a call that said a large black dog was attempting to bite people in the 600 block of Durrett Avenue. The dog was lying in some bushes when the officer arrived, and it came out and bit her. The dog then charged the deputy who was assisting the officer, and the deputy shot it.
The officer required medical attention for the bite.
Another dog, a pit bull, also was shot Sunday after it charged a police officer, the police report said. Officers were dispatched to the 1600 block of Binkley Avenue in response to a vicious dog call. When the first officer arrived, the dog charged him, forcing the officer to jump on a pickup truck. A second officer arrived and tried to get the dog to go home. It charged the officer, forcing him to use deadly force in self defense, Police Chief Jim Nelson said.
Dumas Police also reported the following:
- 300 block N. Maddox – Accident – A driver was texting and driving and failed to maintain a single lane, striking a cross walk sign. No injuries.
- 800 block Hastings – Prowler – Officers dispatched to a suspicious subject in the area but were unable to locate anyone.
- 100 block N. Dumas – Evading Arrest/Possession of a Controlled Substance – Officers attempted to make traffic stop on a red Impala for a traffic violation. Vehicle refused to stop and evaded officers. After the vehicle finally came to a stop, the suspect exited the driver seat and fled on foot. Officers continued to give chase until the suspect was apprehended. Alfredo Hernandez was booked for Evading MV W/ Prior Conviction, Possession of Control Substance and Resisting Arrest.
- 500 block W. 14th – Accident – Dispatched in reference to a minor accident. A Pontiac G6 was traveling east and attempted to turn north onto the 1300 block of Twichell. A black 2004 Infiniti was also traveling east and was unable to control speed and struck the Pontiac in the rear. No injuries.
- 1600 block S. Dumas Ave. – Criminal Mischief – Dispatched in reference to criminal mischief. Contact was made with the complainant who advised that between 4 a.m. and 9:30 p.m. July 20, her 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe was parked in the 287 Roadhouse parking lot, located at 1621 S Dumas Ave., where unknown subject(s) broke the side window to her vehicle.
- 1000 block N.E. 4th – Narcotics – Dispatched in reference to two suspects possibly smoking drugs behind the building. Made contact with two juveniles, 14 and 15 years old. One of the juveniles had a glass pipe containing marijuana, two lighters and steel grinder with a green leafy substance residue. He was issued citation for possession of drug paraphernalia. He was released to his mother. The female juvenile also was released to her mother.
- 600 block Cedar – Accident – Dispatched in reference to a minor vehicle accident. Investigation disclosed that a black 2012 Nissan 4D failed to yield right of way, leaving a parked position and was struck by a white 2001 GMC pickup. No injuries.
- 300 block W. 5th – Accident – Dispatched to the above location in reference to a hit and run. Contact was made with the complainant. Investigation disclosed that unknown person(s) driving an unknown vehicle struck her red Ford pickup.
- 500 block N. Dumas – Assault – An officer observed a male run up behind and a female and shove her. The two were also arguing. Officers had received two prior calls on the male subject this date for a possible domestic disturbance and an intoxicated subject. Anthony Kham was arrested for the on view offense of Assault and booked into the Moore County Jail.
- 600 block E. 14th – Suspicious Persons – Dispatched to the Dumas Aquatic Center in reference to two subjects taking photos of children. Detectives conducted a traffic stop on the suspects in the Walmart parking lot. The driver of the vehicle who is moving to Dumas had taken two photos at a distance of the water park and texted those to his wife to show her the facility. It was a panoramic picture that included most of McDade Park as well. Johnny Alaniz a passenger in the vehicle was found to possess an active Capias Warrant for Public Intoxication and was arrested and booked into the Moore County Jail.
- 100 block Oak – Accidental Discharge of a Firearm – Dispatched in reference to possible shots fired. Contact was made with complainant who advised that approximately five minutes before police arrived, a bullet struck his bedroom wall and landed in the kitchen of his residence. After further investigation, officers made contact with a neighbor who advised he had accidentally fired his 9 mm pistol inside of his residence and was unaware that the round had struck another residence.
- 200 block Cedar – Animal Bite – Officers dispatched to a report of a mail carrier bitten by a dog at large. The mail carrier was not injured. The dog’s owner was located and after securing the dog was issued a citation for animal at large.
- 700 2nd Place – Public Intoxication – Officers dispatched in reference to a suspicious male subject on the porch of the residence. Justin Hanscom was found intoxicated and disoriented as to his location. Hanscom was arrested for Public Intoxication and booked into the Moore County Jail.
- 200 block Zauk – Accident – Unit 1, a 2012 Toyota Camry Without Safety striking Unit 2, a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado, causing minor damage. No injuries.
- 2003 block S. Dumas Ave. – Accident – Dispatched in reference to a hit-and-run that occurred in the Walmart parking lot. Investigation revealed a white Ford pickup backed into the complainant’s vehicle in the Walmart parking lot and left the scene.
- 300 Michael – Criminal Mischief – Investigation of a criminal mischief revealed at unknown times a subject(s) keyed the complainant’s vehicle causing damage.
- 1400 block S. Dumas Ave. – Accident – Unit 1, a black 2000 Ford Mustang was in the McDonald’s parking lot facing west on the north side. Unit 2, a red 2014 Jeep Wrangler was westbound directly behind Unit 1. Unit 1 Backed Without Safety striking Unit 2. No injuries.
- 100 block Oak – Accident – A gray 2015 Nissan Sentra was west in the outside lane of the 400 block of east 1st A gray 2009 GMC Acadia failed to yield right of way at a stop sign, traveled south into the intersection and struck the Nissan. No injury.
- 100 block S. Dumas Ave. – Accident – A gold 2007 GMC Yukon was stopped in the 100 block of south Dumas in the outside lane. The GMC was facing north awaiting a green light. A 2016 red Kenworth tractor with trailer was behind the GMC. The Kenworth let off of the brake and struck the GMC in the rear. No injury.
- 1300 block S. Birge – Accident – Dispatched in reference a minor 10-50. Contact made with driver who advised he was northbound in his gray 2014 GMC pickup when he decided to show off and do a “donut” in the intersection. The driver then lost control and struck the back right wheel on the southwest curb causing the entire wheel to fall off. No injuries. Citation issued for fail to control speed.
- 1700 block S. Dumas – Narcotics/Warrant Service – Officers contacted Kyler Moon for traffic. He was found to have two outstanding warrants and be in possession of drug paraphernalia. He was transported and booked into the Moore County Jail. Another subject was also on scene and was criminal trespassed from Motel 6, per hotel management.
- 1300 block E. 1st – Accident – Dispatched in reference to a minor accident. Driver of Unit 1, a 2000 Chevrolet SUV, failed to yield right of way at the stop sign of Phillips and E 1st, striking Unit 2, a GMC SUV. No injuries. Blue form and exchange information form issued. Driver of Unit 1 received citation for failure to yield right of way.
- 100 block Elm – Public Intoxication – After numerous calls of a female subject taking pain medication and the subject refusing medical treatment, she was released to family member. Officers then received another call that the subject had refused to stay at the residence again and was located stumbling in the street a short distance away. For her safety due to her intoxicated state, it was determined April Rodriguez was a danger to herself and others. Rodriguez was arrested for Public Intoxication and booked into the Moore County Jail.
- 1700 block S. Dumas – Reckless Driver/Violation of Protective Order – Dispatched to the Best Western in reference to a reckless driver in a white Toyota. Officers located the vehicle behind the Econo Lodge. Contact was made with a male and a female subject. Investigation disclosed that the female has an active protective order against her to stay away from the male. The female was arrested and transported to Moore County Jail for Violation of Protective Order.
- Several Locations – City Ordinance Violation – Contact made with residences where garage sale signs had been posted around town. Residents were advised of the city ordinance pertaining to signs. All signs were removed.
- 2003 block S. Dumas – Criminal Mischief – Dispatched in reference to a vandalized vehicle. Spoke with the complainant who stated that person(s) unknown had used a sharp object and damaged her driver side door to her 2004 Ford Ranger. Under investigation awaiting security video.
- 200 block W. 2nd – Assault – Dispatched in reference to an argument between male and female subjects. The male came to visit his sister from New Mexico and during an argument, he slapped her on her face. Luis Rivera Lozoya-Mata was arrested, transported and booked into the Moore County Jail for Assault by contact.
- 2000 S. Dumas Ave. – Theft – Dispatched to 1700 block of S Meredith, in reference to a stolen phone. Arrived and spoke with the complainant who advised while she been at Walmart at approximately 9 p.m. she had her white iPhone 5c sitting in the basket while she was in the checkout line and that it had gone missing while she was placing items on the conveyor belt. Phone entered into TCIC/NCIC. Under investigation.
- 2003 block S. Dumas Ave. – Accident – Dispatched to the above location in reference to an accident. Upon arrival, contact was made with complainant, who advised that as she was driving through the parking lot, a white van began backing out of one of the parking spaces and struck her vehicle causing a dent to her LFQ. Both parties were provided blue forms. No injuries to report.
- 100 E. 16th – DWI – Initiated a traffic stop on a Nissan Altima due to it matching the description of suspect vehicle in a previous incident. Officer made contact with driver, Maria Itzel Gallardo Cruz, who was determined to be intoxicated and was arrested and booked into the Moore County Jail.
- 100 block W. 17th – Gunshots – Dispatched in reference to five gunshots. Arrived and found five spent 9 mm casings in the roadway. Officers canvassed the area but were unable to locate any damage.
- 200 block W. 1st – Accident – Dispatched in reference to reckless driving. Arrived and found that a female subject had lost control of her 2012 Ford Mustang and struck a road sign in the intersection of W 1st and Birge. Accident report completed.
- 1100 S. Meredith – Disturbance/Assault – Dispatched in reference to complainant’s husband being intoxicated. Contact made with the complainant who advised she and Rafael Gutierrez were arguing, and she wanted him to leave, but he was refusing. Investigation revealed while arguing Rafael pushed the female, causing her to fall against an ironing board, injuring her arm. Gutierrez was arrested for Assault Causing Bodily Injury and booked into Jail.
- 400 block S. Dumas – Accident – Dispatched to the intersection of E. 4th and Dumas Ave. on a major vehicle accident. Arrived and verified that none of the involved parties were injured. Unit 1 was facing south, attempting to turn east from Dumas Ave. Unit 2 was traveling north on Dumas Ave. Unit 3 was stopped at the intersection facing west. Unit 1 failed to yield right of way and turned in front of Unit 2. Unit 2 struck unit 1 RBQ, spinning it into Unit 3. As unit 1 spun out it contacted Unit 3 FD.