A Dumas police officer arrested a man Tuesday who was holding a pistol when the officer returned to the man’s vehicle after discovering it was stolen, a DPD report said.
Max Perez was stopped in the 1000 block of South Dumas Avenue for a traffic violation, which led to the incident. The report said Perez was holding the pistol after the officer returned to Perez’s vehicle when he found out it was stolen out of Amarillo.
Perez was taken into custody, and during a search of the vehicle, officers found another firearm, narcotics believed to be cocaine and a large amount of cash. Perez was charged with unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, unlawfully carrying a firearm, possession of a controlled substance and money laundering.
Dumas police also reported the following:
- 1000 S. Meredith – Accident – Dispatched in reference of a minor vehicle accident. Silver Nissan Sentra 2014 was traveling east on E. 10th Street and struck a parked 2009 blue Toyota FJ. CR3 completed.
- 500 W. 4th– Accident – Unit 2 was stopped, facing west, behind two vehicles at a stop sign. Unit 1 was directly behind Unit 2. The vehicles in front of Unit 2 started moving before Unit 2. Unit 1 moved prematurely and struck Unit 2. No damage to Unit 1 and damage to Unit 2 was BD. No injury.
- 1200 block S. Meredith – Locate Runaway – Officers were dispatched to a residence at 1600 Binkley in reference to a runaway juvenile reported to Amarillo Police Department. Officers did not locate the juvenile at that residence but was later located at a residence on South Meredith. The juvenile was detained and later released to a family member.
- 900 block Mills – Accident – Minor accident. A 2014 Dodge Journey was traveling north, and it was reversing to park at its designated location. A 2004 Dodge Durango backed out of a private drive. The Dodge Durango, backed without safety, striking the Dodge Journey. BL to LP, there were no injuries.
- 1600 E. 2nd– Accident/Disregard Crossing Guard – An elderly female in a white sedan was eastbound in approximately. She disregarded a school crossing guard that was in the intersection, striking him. The unknown female then fled the scene. School crossing guard was not injured.
- 100 W. 8th– Traffic/Narcotics – Officer was patrolling in the 300 block of S. Dumas Ave. and observed a blue Jeep Liberty traveling south with no tail light. Officer conducted a traffic stop for the violation. While speaking with the driver identified as Crystal Ducker and front passenger Lucas Netherland the officer observed several clues to believe narcotics were in vehicle. K-9 unit was contacted and K-9 alerted on vehicle. After a search was conducted, several bags of HTC and marijuana were located in the vehicle. Both subjects were arrested for Possession of Controlled Substance more than 400 grams and possession of marijuana more than 2 ounces and less than 4 ounces and booked into the Moore County Jail without incident.
- 600 block Beard – Prowler – Officer dispatched in reference of a prowler. Officer arrived on scene. Unable to locate.
- 300 block W. 17th– Discharge Firearm in City Limits – Officer dispatched in reference to gunshots. Officer arrived on scene and made contact with three male subjects. Investigation found one of the suspects fired his handgun in the air. The offender was issued a citation for discharging a firearm within city limits.
- 1400 Guylane Plaza – Accident – Dispatched in reference to a minor accident. Contact was made with the driver who was sitting in her vehicle, which was all the way up on the sidewalk in front of the store. The driver advised that her accelerator on her 2000 Pontiac became stuck and caused her to go on the sidewalk damaging two signs. The driver was not injured and taken home by officers. The Vehicle was towed by Packs.
- 100 N. Bliss – Public Intoxication – Officers dispatched to the area of the Fire Department and Memorial Hospital Emergency Room in reference to a male subject yelling. Officers located Ian Davila and found him to be intoxicated and a danger to himself and others. Davila was arrested for public intoxication and booked into the Moore County Jail.
- 300 Bailey – Accident – Dispatched to the above location in reference to an accident. Upon arrival, officers observed a white 2001 Ford pickup in the front yard of 300 Bailey with significant damage to the front end. Officer made contact with the driver, who advised he was eastbound on Shamrock Drive. He further advised that as he neared the intersection of Shamrock and Bailey the brakes of the vehicle stopped working, which caused him to continue to drive onto the front yard of 300 Bailey and strike a 2003 Lexus, which was parked in the driveway. As a result of the collision the northwest corner of the garage received significant damage. The driver of the vehicle, Isaias Carbajal, was arrested for Driving while Intoxicated and booked into the Moore County Jail.
- 500 W. 1st– Traffic – Dispatched to the overpass in reference to a large object in the roadway that was interfering with traffic. Upon arrival, it was determined a flatbed trailer had come unhitched. When officer arrived on scene, the owner had already hitched the trailer and was leaving the scene. Made contact with truck driver who advised that everything was all right but that he had almost struck the trailer. Nothing further.
- 2003 S. Dumas Ave. – Theft – Dispatched in reference to theft. Upon arrival, investigation disclosed that Yesenia Hernandez had not scanned several items and passed all points of sales without paying for them. Hernandez was taken into custody and booked into the Moore County Jail for Theft over $100, less than $749.99.
- 300 N. Birge – Assault – Officers dispatched to a fight in progress. Investigation revealed several male subjects had been engaged in a fight. During the altercation, one of the subjects suffered a broken nose. Three of the subjects were issued criminal trespass warnings for the property. Assault charges pending.
- 100 S. Bliss – Reckless Driver – Officers dispatched to the area around the hospital on Bliss and Meredith in reference to a reckless driver in a black Chevy Tahoe. Officers were unable to locate.
- 100 W. 17th– Burglary of a Coin Operated Machine – Officer was dispatched to the Super 8 Motel in reference to the Coke machine broken into. Officer arrived and spoke with the complainant who advised officers she was informed by the manager of Super 8 her Coke machine was broken into at an unknown time, and the locks were punched out. She also advised officers the Coke machine located at Jim’s Shamrock on E. 1st Street and Maddox Avenue was broken into as well sometime this weekend after Friday. Total value taken from both machines was $160 worth of loose change. Also, the suspect took the dispenser containers valued at $450. Under investigation.
- 1000 S. Dumas – Possession of Marijuana – Dispatched to a report of subjects possibly fighting in a vehicle. DPS initiated traffic stop on vehicle in the 1000 block of S. Dumas Avenue. While conducting our investigation, the 10-year-old son of the driver brandished a pill bottle with marijuana in it. Richard Olivas told officers that as he was pulled over he told the boy to hide the contraband in his pocket. Richard was arrested for possession of marijuana and tampering with evidence.
- 1000 S. Klein – Traffic/Narcotics – Initiated traffic stop on vehicle for moving violations. During the stop officers observed probable cause of narcotics in the vehicle. A search of the vehicle revealed marijuana and methamphetamines. Marlo Serna was arrested for possession of marijuana and a controlled substance.