Above: A Texas Department of Public Safety helicopter circles Dumas in search of a man who fled when Moore County Sheriff’s Deputies made a traffic stop.
Dumas Police officers, Moore County sheriff’s deputies and Texas Department of Public Safety troopers are looking for a man who fled from police and sheriff’s deputies Monday morning.
Dumas Police Chief Jim Nelson said two men allegedly stole items from Walmart and GameStop on Monday morning and were reported driving south on state Highway 287. Later, sheriff’s deputies stopped the car, and the passenger fled. Deputies and police officers searched the breaks south of Walmart, and although they saw him, they were too far away to detain him. Later, another man who didn’t know about the situation, gave the fleeing man a ride to a convenience store in Dumas. The Sheriff’s Office asked DPS to send a helicopter to assist in the search.
The driver of the vehicle was taken into custody.
The man is described as Hispanic, short build with short hair. He is wearing a brown T-shirt and brown shorts. Anyone with information about the suspect should call the DPD at 935-3998 or the Sheriff’s Department at 935-4145.
The Dumas Police Department also reported the following:
- Hwy 287 (Potter County) – Warrant Service – Officers were returning from a mental transport to Wichita Falls at 2 a.m. when approximately three miles north of the Canadian River they observed a subject lying in the roadway. Officers identified the subject Lyle Holden and found he had warrants out of Nevada. Officers detained Holden until a Potter County deputy arrived for transport.
- 1200 block Geary Rd. – Evading Arrest/Detention – While investigating a burglary at 2:10 a.m., officers observed two male juveniles in an alley, as officers approached the juveniles ran. They were located and detained.
- 1024 block S. Dumas Ave. – Disturbance – Subsequent to investigating a disturbance over child custody, officers arrested Darren Defries and Nicholas Sauceda for outstanding warrants.
- 800 block Binkley Ave. – Disturbance – Officers investigated a disturbance over property.
- 1200 block S. Dumas Ave. – Trespassing – Officers were dispatched to a subject refusing to leave the business premises. Officer escorted the subject from the property.
- 100 block Dallam Ave. – Theft – Dispatched to the Moore County Sheriff’s Office in reference to a theft. Contact was made with the complainant who advised that unknown subject(s) stole a flower pot and a heart-shaped lawn chair from the front yard of her residence.
- 800 block N.E. 2nd – Recover Stolen Property – Dispatched in reference to complainant following a juvenile riding a bicycle stolen the previous night. Bicycle was recovered.
- 100 block Elm Ave. – Burglary of a Habitation – Dispatched in reference to theft of a television. Made contact with complainant who stated he left his apartment at approximately 7:45 p.m. and came back at approximately 9:11 p.m. and noticed his 32-inch black Vizio black television was missing from inside of the apartment.
- 1024 S. Dumas Ave. – Theft – Dispatched in reference to gas drive-off. Clerk advised that a white truck pumped $20 worth of fuel and left. Clerk was unable to give a description of the person and had nothing further on the truck.
- 1600 block Binkley Ave. – Disturbance – Officers responded to a disturbance. A male and female subject had been engaged in a verbal argument. The male subject left prior to police arrival.
- 200 block Pine Ave. – Juvenile – On June 22, officers received a report that a juvenile had removed his tracking monitor applied by juvenile probation. The juvenile returned home and was taken into custody and detained at the Youth Center of the High Plains by Juvenile Probation.
- 700 block Miller Ave. – Criminal Trespass/Criminal Mischief – Dispatched to the in reference to a burglary of habitation. Made contact with a complainant who stated someone broke into her house and damaged two TVs, door to her bedroom and left her front and back door open. Nothing was missing.
- 500 block N. Dumas Ave. – Warrant Service – Traffic stop for speeding, 57 mph in a 35 mph. Contact was made with the driver, Daniel Aguilar, who was found to have an active warrant out of Georgia with full extradition. Subject was arrested and booked into the Moore County jail.
- 200 block W. 9th – Disturbance/Assault – Dispatched in reference to a domestic disturbance that had become physical. Made contact with a female complainant who advised her common-law husband had pushed her, causing her to hit her left arm on her vehicle. Filed on File by completed.
- 200 block Michael Ave. – Unauthorized Use of a Motor Vehicle – Made contact with the complainant who advised that sometime between 9 a.m. on June 20 and 11 p.m. on June 25, unknown person(s) had taken his grey 2005 Nissan Titan without permission. The vehicle was later located abandoned in Port Arthur.
- 2003 block S. Dumas Ave. – Warrant Service – Warrant service on Courtney Earnest Wilkerson for Moore County warrant. Wilkerson was taken into custody and booked into the Moore County Jail for theft of property more than $50, less than $500.
- 1900 block S. Dumas Ave. – Loud Music – Dispatched in reference to loud music. Music was turned off.
- 1500 block Bailey Ave. – Accident – Dispatched in reference to a minor accident. Arrived and found that a 2007 Dodge Mega Cab had been pulling a flatbed trailer eastbound in the 1500 block of Bailey Ave. The truck then made a wide right turn into the alley between the 600 block of Bailey and the 600 block of Pear. The rear of the trailer struck a 1995 Ford in the LD causing damage. Accident report completed.
- 1600 block E. 7th – Assault – Dispatched to above in reference to a domestic violence. Officers arrived and spoke with male and female subjects. Investigation revealed a physical altercation broke out between the two spouses. There was not sufficient evidence to lead officers to make an arrest on scene.
- 2003 S. Dumas Ave. – Theft – Officer dispatched in reference to theft. Officer arrived on scene and made contact with (loss prevention) and Celia Olivarez. Loss Prevention advised the officer Ceclia stole merchandise (crafts) from Walmart. Merchandise was recovered. Celia was issued a Citation for theft under $50.
- 1100 block N.E. 5th – Fireworks – Dispatched in reference to fireworks. Unable to locate.
- 600 block E. 14th – Reckless Damage – Dispatched to McDade Park in reference to vandalism that occurred sometime the previous night. Through social media the offenders were found and cited for reckless damage.
- 100 block N. El Paso Ave. – Fireworks – Dispatched in reference to fireworks. Officers were UTL.
- 200 block Powell Ave. – Fireworks – Dispatched reference fireworks in the area. Residents on E. 3rd spoken to and advised of city ordinance.
- 1000 E. 1st – DWI –Traffic stop for failure to maintain a single lane. Contact was made with driver, later identified as Julian Michael Navarrete, who was determined to be intoxicated. Navarrete was arrested and booked in at the Moore County Jail for DWI.
- 800 N.E. 3rd – DWI – Dispatched in reference to an accident, vehicle versus a light pole. Driver was Cody Cox, he had minor injuries to his forehead and right ankle, and he was cleared by EMS. Cox was determined to be intoxicated and was arrested and booked into the Moore County Jail for DWI and DWLI. Citations issued for failure to control speed and driving without being secured by safety belt.
- 500 block Elm Ave. – Loud Music – Dispatched in reference to loud music. Music was turned down.
- 800 block Phillips Dr. – Fireworks – Dispatched in reference fireworks in the alley. Unable to locate.
- 200 block Chelsea Ave. – Loud Music – Dispatched to the above area in reference to loud music. Unable to locate.
- 300 block Twichell Ave. – Disturbance – Dispatched to the above location in reference to a disturbance. Contact was made with male and female subjects. Investigation disclosed they were involved in verbal altercation. Nothing physical had occurred. Parties were separated.
- 700 block S. Bliss Ave. – Recovered Stolen Property – Officer was dispatched to the Moore County Sheriff’s Office and made contact with the complainant who advised that his son’s house had been burglarized, and a report had been made on June 18. The complainant advised he thought he had located the washer and dryer from that burglary in the 500 block of Cedar and wanted officers to check. Washer and dryer from the burglary were recovered. Under investigation.
- 600 block E. 14th – Fireworks – Dispatched to the above location in reference to someone discharging fireworks. Unable to locate.
- Fireworks – Dispatched to 200 N Birge Ave. in reference to fireworks. Dispatched to the 300 block of Durrett Ave. in reference to Fireworks. Dispatched to 125 Elm Ave. in reference to fireworks. Dispatched to 306 W. 13th in reference to Fireworks. Unable to locate on all calls.
- 1100 block Beard Ave. – Accident – Dispatched in reference to a minor motor vehicle accident. A 2003 blue Pontiac van backed out of the driveway striking a white 2007 Pontiac car that was parked legally in the 1100 block of Beard Ave. Accident report completed.
- 300 block W. 8th – Fireworks – Unable to locate.
- 500 N. Maddox – DWI – Traffic stop on a black 1998 Dodge pickup truck for speeding. Contact was made with driver, identified as Sigifredo Artalejo Jr., who was determined to be intoxicated. Artalejo was arrested and booked in at the Moore County Jail for DWI. He also received a warning for speeding.