Dumas Demons kicker Ah lee Yart brought the Decatur Eagles season to a close this past Friday with a walk-off 27 yard field goal as time expired.  It would be the only field goal attempted all game by either team as Dumas and Decatur fought through 48 minutes of a highly contested regional game.  Neither team led by more than a touchdown all game.


Eagles star running back Gunner Ragsdale moved the ball very well in the first half and put up the first points of the game with a 3 yard rushing touchdown in the 1st quarter.  Dumas answered with a TD of their own when QB Spencer Williams tucked the ball and beat Decatur’s defense to the goal line for a 7 yard rushing TD. After a defensive hold, Dumas capitalized with Spencer Williams finding Cito Rodriguez for a 9 yard reception in the endzone.  Before the half was up, Decatur’s Gunner Ragsdale pounded away two more rushing touchdowns, but the Demons seemed to always have an answer with Jacob Mares and Damian Orozco each coming up big with touchdowns. Dumas led Decatur 28-21 at half time.

Decatur came out strong in the 2nd half scoring 14 unanswered points and chewing up 8 minutes off the clock.  A Jacob Mares touchdown would eventually get the Demons reignited making it a tie game, 35-35. Before the 3rd quarter expired, the Demons defense ignited as well when Javier Martinez intercepted Decatur QB Roman Fuller in the endzone for a touchback — robbing the Eagles of points and the lead.  Unable to come away with points of their own, Dumas was still able to flip field position and push Decatur far back to their own side of the field after a punt. It was all defense in the 4th quarter as neither team could press far enough for even a field goal attempt. With 3:47 left in the game, Caleb Suggs jumped in front of a pass for the Demon’s 2nd interception of the game.  Dumas began dominating the line of scrimmage picking up positive yards, moving the chains, and ultimately forcing Decatur to use up all of their timeouts to try and give themselves a chance. Winding the clock down to 3 seconds, Dumas called a timeout and put the game in the hands of their kicker, Ah lee Yart. With the game on the line, Ah lee Yart walked onto the field and punched the Demon’s ticket to a state quarterfinal’s matchup against the Springtown Porcupines (12-1).  The final score was Dumas 38, Decatur 35.

Dumas will take their undefeated record (13-0) on the road once again to play Springtown at Grande Communications Stadium in Midland, TX.  Game time will be Friday, December 6th at 6:00pm.